Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Paper or Plastic? No Thank You.


Submitted by Ian:
The economy is in bad shape. There are starving people in Africa, genocide in Darfur, the polar caps are melting and the polar bears will soon be homeless...

There is a constant deluge of bad news to deal with. I feel overwhelmed and helpless, what difference can one single person possibly make?

Hang on, there is a way I can help. I can make a difference and help solve difficult problems. I am told all I need to do is shop and spend money - Clothes at Dillard’s, Flat screen TV, Blu-ray DVD, digital camera - this is going to be easy!

“The Greatest Generation” went through the depression, beat back the Nazis and the Japanese, put men on the moon, all through hard work, sacrifice and determination. Yet all I have to do is spend my stimulus check to buy neat stuff.

It doesn’t seem to be much of a sacrifice, I feel kind of guilty...

I know what I can do! I’ll go shopping, but I’ll do it with a home made reusable shopping bag! I’ll recycle by making it with leftover material, I won’t be polluting the world with plastic bags, and I’ll look like a dork!

I might not need to fight my way to Berlin in the dead of winter, but I can buy stuff while I look like the crazy guy with 30 cats back home.

No comments: